Sourav Ganguly, who is affectionately known as the Prince of Kolkata, has had plenty of success in his life, both on and off the field. Sourav Ganguly’s leadership journey is an inspiring story, the tales of which are not only well known in Bengal, but across the world. Here are 5 reasons why Sourav Ganguly is an Authentic Dada – Bengali for the leader.
1. Sourav Ganguly announced his arrival into Indian cricket with a bang. Even though Sourav Ganguly’s ODI debut was nothing much to talk about. His Test debut saw the arrival of Dada. He smashed a remarkable century on debut at the home of cricket Lords against a formidable England side at a time when Indians were infamous for their poor overseas record. This announced the arrival of Dada.
2. Sourav Ganguly took charge when Indian cricket was at its lowest. He took charge when Indian cricket was hit by the 2000 match-fixing scandal. Within three years, he turned the team into one that did not fear travelling overseas with famous wins like the NatWest series in England in 2002 and then led them to the final in South Africa in 2003.
3. Sourav Ganguly spotted talent and created a pipeline of leadership. Sourav Ganguly is credited with spotting the likes of MS Dhoni, Yuvraj Singh, Irfan Pathan, Mohammad Kaif and Munaf Patel. Giving youngsters opportunity and spotting talent is the hallmark of a great leader.
4. Sourav Ganguly is the king of comebacks and never gives up even in the face of insurmountable odds. Despite his poor first showing in ODI against West Indies in 1992, Sourav Ganguly never gave up and toiled in the domestic circuit till he announced his arrival in England in 1996. He was dropped from the team in 2004 due to poor personal form before making a come back in 2006. But after an ugly fallout with Australian great and then Indian coach Greg Chappell, Sourav Ganguly once again found himself out of the Indian team. But Dada was not done. He made a famous comeback in 2007.
5. Sourav Ganguly – the successful businessman and sports administrator. After retiring from international cricket in 2008, Sourav Ganguly announced his intention to become a cricket administrator. He is currently the president of the Cricket Association of Bengal and is backed by several former greats including Sunil Gavaskar as the head of BCCI. He has also ventured into football, which was his first sport in school, and is the co-owner of ISL’s most successful franchisee Athletico De Kolkata.
Sourav Ganguly has never shied away from taking responsibility and his prowess as a leader flourishes under intense pressure.He is not afraid of the difficult conversations and always sticks to his values. Sourav Ganguly is also a great mentor who identifies and gives talent the opportunity to flourish. His passion and hunger to win drives him and his team towards achieving success. Sourav Ganguly is truly an authentic leader.